The Frenaros Fountains are an important monument of infrastructure and local history. They were constructed in 1953, during the period of British rule (1878–1960), when public fountains throughout Cyprus played a crucial role in water supply, public hygiene and the social life of communities.

The fountains were placed in central locations in villages, such as squares, churches or public buildings. They were built with local materials, mainly porolithos, and had decorative elements of a neoclassical or colonial character. They usually had the date of construction and the initials of the respective monarch of the United Kingdom, "ER" (Elizabeth Regina) or "GR" (George Rex). Many had basins for people and animals, while some also had a small shelter.

Beyond their utilitarian value, fountains were places of social gathering. Women gathered there to fill pitchers and basins, where they exchanged news and discussions, and were often the setting for courtship ceremonies and traditions. Their presence was also reflected in popular literature, fairy tales and songs.

In the Frenaros Municipal District of the Paralimni-Dheryne Municipality, fifteen concrete fountains with the initials "ER" were constructed in 1953 in honor of the then Queen Elizabeth II. Today, five of them survive, which have been restored and promoted in collaboration with the Famagusta Tourism Development Company (ETAPA).
The Five Fountains of Frenaros
The surviving taps are located or have been relocated at the following locations:
• At the intersection of Archangelou Michael and Grigoris Afxentiou streets in front of the house of Pieris and Eleni Kapetanios and near the old church of Archangelou Michael.
• On Fotis Pitta Avenue, in front of the house of teacher Loukis and Kyriaki Hatzilouka.
• On the two-lane road of today's Giannakis Tziovanis Street, opposite the house of Michalis and Chrystalla Stylianou.
• The fourth fountain, originally located next to the house of Simos and Anastasia Katsaris, was moved by the family to the ancestral home in order to be saved. In August 2025, it was returned to the community and placed on Fotis Pitta Avenue, in front of the house of Michalis and Adriana Kouloumis.

• The fifth fountain was placed at the fork of Dimokratias and Theodorou Tsomallouris streets. It was later moved by Makis Konias to the premises of his store, where it was used functionally and painted green, in honor of the Omonia football team. In August 2025, it was returned to the community and re-placed on Giasoumi Kile street, in front of the house of Fotis and Angela Papanikolas.
The fountains of Frenaros are not just witnesses to another era, they are a living part of local memory, connecting the daily lives of the residents with the history, culture and traditions of the place.













