Why do men leave a mustache for the whole of November?
For the 30 days of November, millions of men around the world let their mustaches grow for a single purpose, the so-called Movember, which aims to raise public awareness of prostate cancer, which is the second most common widespread cancer in men, after lung cancer.
What is Movember?
Movember is a movement in which men let their mustaches grow for a month in November to raise public awareness about prostate cancer and raise funds from carefully selected charities that focus on their health. men and of course, especially in prostate cancer.
According to the movement's founder, Adam Garone, it all started in 2003. Then he, his brother and a friend drank beers one Sunday, "the traditional Australian way" as he characteristically put it, as a joke with his brother and a friend talked about the different styles from the 80's and how everything goes back to fashion.
Continuing, he said that the discussion ended with a challenge to bring the mustache back into fashion. "Mo" is the slang term for mustache in Australia, "so we renamed it November, Movember and set some simple rules that still apply today. You start freshly shaved at the beginning of the month and leave a mustache for 30 days ".
"At the end of the month, we decided to whisk every Movember, and we saw this 'hairy strip' as the perfect accessory to raise public awareness of a purpose that touches many men - prostate cancer," something that continues worldwide. for 11 years.
Movember in Cyprus
In Cyprus there have been some efforts in recent years to organize Movember, something that started more organized in 2013 at the initiative of Round Table 1 Nicosia in collaboration with Movember International, where various events will be organized for the development, information and dissemination of Movember on the island in order to raise money for the purpose it promotes.
The money raised from the various events will be given to EUROPA UOMO Cyprus to improve the quality of life of patients and their families, the dissemination and exchange of evidence and information on prostate cancer, the promotion of perception and early diagnosis, the campaign for access to the best treatment, quality assurance and support during as well as after treatment, the promotion of multidisciplinary quality care and appropriate medical infrastructure.
The… slang of "MO"
- Mo | Moustache
- Mo Bro | A man growing a mustache especially for Movember
- Mo Sista | A woman who loves and encourages mustache growth and actively supports Movember
- My Mentor | Men who are committed to the "Mo" lifestyle for a long time and inspire others to the "hairy" challenge
General information on men's health
- The average life expectancy for men is almost five years less than women (76,2 years compared to 81 years)
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime
- More than a third of adults (34,9%) in the US are obese
Prostate cancer is the 2nd most common form of cancer in men
- In 2014, more than 233.000 people will be diagnosed with prostate cancer
- 1 in 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime
- 1 in 36 men will die from prostate cancer (approximately 29.480 men)
- The risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer increases with age
- Testicular cancer is the most common form of cancer in young men aged 15-35 years,
- About 8.820 new cases of testicular cancer in men are diagnosed each year,
- About 380 people will die from testicular cancer.
- 1 in 4 adults will experience a mental health problem at some point,
- 1 in 5 adults each year experience an anxiety disorder,
In 2010, a total of 38,364 Americans committed suicide and more than three-quarters (79%) of those suicides were committed by men.
Details for "MO"
- Albert Einstein had a mustache for more than 50 years
- Groucho Marx for many years wore a fake mustache from oil paint for his films.
- In 1967, the Beatles gave big fake mustaches to promote their Sgt album. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
- US Marines can not have a mustache larger than half an inch.
- The longest mustache in the world is 4,2 meters and belongs to the Indian Ram Singh Chauhan who often greases it with mustard and coconut oil to keep it healthy.
- Women are more attracted to men with mustaches. Fact.
- Only Rigas Koupa does not have a mustache in the deck.
A one-month-old mustache can hold at least 30ml about 10% of a glass of beer before it starts rolling down the face.
- Salvador Dali published a book especially dedicated to his mustache
- A man touches his mustache about 760 times a day.
There are about 10,000 to 20,000 hairs on a man's face.
- Human hair grows about 15,5 cm per year.
- In Eureka, Nevada in the United States, it is illegal for men with mustaches to kiss women.