Everything you need to know about enrollment in kindergartens and elementary schools
A reminder to parents and guardians about when the enrollment of children in kindergartens and primary schools begins, was sent today by the Directorate of Primary Education of the Ministry of Education and Culture.
Specifically, the registrations will take place from 10 to 12 January 2017, while the announcement of the Ministry lists below everything that parents need to know to proceed with the registration.
TIME OF DOCUMENTS
1. The registrations of students in the Kindergartens and in all the classes of the Primary Schools, for the next school year 2017-2018, will take place from the 10th to the 12th of January 2017. The attention of all interested parents is drawn that the registrations for all the classes will be completed within this period and there will be no new enrollment period.
2. It is particularly emphasized that those parents who do not enroll their children in the above period will be obliged to submit an application to the relevant District Education Office, which will decide on the enrollment of their child in the nearest school where there will be a vacancy.
3. The Unified All-Day Schools (EOS) should take care to inform the parents that the children's attendance in the EOS is compulsory until 3:15 p.m. or until 4:00 p.m. There will be only one departure time for all children of each EOS, for the four days of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday) and no exceptions / derogations will be allowed. Therefore, parents of children who can not meet the specific departure schedule, should arrange to apply for enrollment / transfer to another school for their child, within the enrollment / transfer schedules (January 10-12, 2017).
4. Regarding the process of enrollment of children in the Optional All-Day Schools (POS), a relevant circular will be posted in the coming days. In the same circular will be announced the new POS, which will operate in the school year 2017-2018, so that the same procedure is followed for them.
5. It is noted that for children aged 4 8/12 - 5 8/12, pre-primary education is compulsory. Parents have the right to choose to enroll their children in either a Public, Community or Private Kindergarten approved by the Ministry of Education and Culture. Lists of Community and Approved Private Kindergartens are available on the website of the Ministry of Education and Culture (www.moec.gov.cy, Directorate of Primary Education, School Lists).
RIGHT TO REGISTER
1. All children of any nationality residing in Cyprus have the right to register, regardless of the legal or illegal stay of their parents on the island.
2. Children who turn 4 years and 8 months before September 1, 2017, ie those born between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012, will be accepted for enrollment in the pre-primary class. In the first grade, they will be accepted for enrollment. children who turn 5 years and 8 months before September 1, 2017, ie those born between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011. Applications for enrollment in public kindergartens can also be submitted by children younger than 3 - 4 8/12 years , ie all children born from January 1, 2013 until August 31, 2014.
1. The registrations of the students in the Pre-Primary School, the first grade of the Primary School and the new registrations in other classes of the Primary School, will be made based on the educational district to which the students' residence belongs. The revised educational districts for the school year 2017-2018 will be posted on the internet (www.moec.gov.cy, Directorate of Primary Education, Educational Districts) before the start of registrations.
2. It is pointed out that the educational districts do not apply to children younger than compulsory education (3 years up to 4 years and 8 months). However, the following are clarified:
(a) when selecting children to attend a kindergarten, priority will be given to children in the kindergarten district
(b) the attendance of these children in a kindergarten that does not belong to their educational district does not ensure the continuation of their attendance at the beginning of their compulsory education.
NECESSARY CERTIFICATES FOR REGISTRATION
1. For children born in Cyprus, it is required to present an official birth certificate. For children born outside Cyprus, it is required to present an official birth certificate from the Competent Authority of the country in which they were born. The passport is accepted as an official document. Photocopies of the above documents are accepted, only if they have been certified by a competent official. In the event that the parents, for any reason do not have official documents, their children are registered, after submitting all the information required to complete the Register and Curriculum.
2. For enrollment in Primary School or Pre-Primary School, the form EPA11 must be completed and for enrollment in Public / Public and Community Kindergarten for children aged 3-48 / 12, the form EPA30. These forms can be obtained by parents / guardians from the website of the Ministry of Education and Culture (www.moec.gov.cy, Directorate of Primary Education, Forms).
3. It is necessary, together with the above-mentioned documents, to present two bills (garbage and a recent electricity bill) that prove the street of the student's residence. In case of parents who rent a house and it is not possible to present a garbage bill, they will have to provide in addition to the electricity bill and the rent document. Also, in cases of parents who have recently relocated and do not have a garbage bill, they must provide a building permit and a recent electricity bill. Please note that certificates from community leaders / mayors for the parents' residence address will not be accepted.
4. For enrollment in the first grade, it is also necessary to present a certificate of attendance at an approved Kindergarten. In the event that the Director of the Primary School determines that a child is not attending an approved Kindergarten, the parent should enroll him / her immediately in another kindergarten which is approved by the Ministry of Education and Culture. The child will be temporarily enrolled in the first grade, until the parent presents a certificate of enrollment of his child in an approved Kindergarten.
It is pointed out that at the beginning of the study in the first grade of the Primary School, it will be necessary to present an official indicative study in the pre-primary class from an approved Kindergarten.
5. It is clarified that the students of Pre-Primary and AD grade of Primary School who have older siblings who attend the same School (in grades AD - ED during the current school year) are accepted without a certificate of residence.
1. Applications for transfer for the Pre-Primary class and for all grades of Primary School must be submitted by the parents in the period 10 to 12 January 2017, to the relevant District Education Offices, by submitting the form EPA 33. Those interested can obtain the EPA form 33 from the District Education Offices or from the website of the Ministry of Education and Culture (www.moec.gov.cy, Directorate of Primary Education, Forms). The applications will be examined only if the child is enrolled in the school of his / her educational district, therefore the parents together with the form YPP33 will have to present a copy of the form YPP28 "Certificate of Enrollment in Primary School / Kindergarten" which will be given by the school when enrolling their child. Parents will be notified of the approval or rejection of their application by January 27, 2017.
Parents and guardians are encouraged to enroll their children, of all grades, in the above period, in order to plan in time for the staffing of the schools.