Greece: "I wanted to clean up the dry grass" said the arson suspect

DIAS police officers found the 87-year-old in possession of a can with flammable liquid

C481DDAF 262C 4467 A929 00ADCF0113DE

The 87-year-old man, who was arrested for arson last night in Agios Stefanos, Attica, is being taken to the public prosecutor. "I wanted to clear the area of ​​the dry grass," he told the officers who questioned him after his arrest, according to police sources.

According to the preliminary investigation data, last night, Saturday, August 5, at approximately 22:45 p.m., a 39-year-old citizen passing by from Iroon Polytechniou Street, opposite number 15, saw the 87-year-old defendant coming out from behind a PPC pillar. where a small fire had just appeared in the dry grass, and to enter his house, which is next door. The 39-year-old immediately ran and extinguished the fire, and then notified the police.

Police rushed to the scene, brought the 87-year-old from his home and took him to the Dionysos Police Department, where he was unreservedly identified by the complaining citizen as the arsonist, so he was arrested and taken to the Dionysos Security Department, which filed a case against him for arson.

At the place where the fire broke out, a nylon bag was found and confiscated, containing a can of oil and pieces of cloth.

He is being held and will be tried in court tomorrow for misdemeanor arson

The 87-year-old who was "caught" on his own, last night, setting fire to dry grass in Agios Stefanos with a flammable liquid, faces a misdemeanor charge of arson with intent.

The 87-year-old was taken to the public prosecutor, who brought criminal charges against him and tomorrow he will be tried by the Three-member Automatic Misdemeanor Court. The accused will remain in custody until his trial.

According to the police, the accused was noticed by a 39-year-old resident of the area while he was trying to set fire to dry grass with flammable liquid, on Iroon Polytechniou Street.

The 39-year-old notified Immediate Action, whose police rushed to the scene and arrested the perpetrator.

DIAS police officers found the 87-year-old in possession of a can with flammable liquid.

Source: RES-EAP