Greece: Firefighting continues in Zakynthos, Distomo and Keratea - Stamata without an active front

One dead from a collision

Screenshot 4 Greece, dead, fire

The battle with the fire continues in Zakynthos, Distomo and Keratea, after the overnight efforts of the firefighters to limit the fire fronts in the areas, with the strong winds that blew yesterday across the country making the situation difficult.

According to the latest information from the Fire Department, strong forces have been operating since the early hours of Monday in Zakynthos and Distomo.

Specifically, 52 firefighters with 17 vehicles, two groups of hikers are operating on the island of Ionia, while it is expected from time to time that forces will also be deployed by coastal ferry. It is noted that the fire is burning in low vegetation on the mountain in the area of ​​Agia Marina, however far from the settlement.

In Distomo, the fire that also broke out in a forest area on Sunday afternoon (30/6) is currently being fought by 62 firefighters with 2 groups of pedestrian units and 20 vehicles, while two helicopters have been deployed for aerial firefighting.

Assistance in the extinguishing project is provided by water tankers and OTA project machinery.

Keratea and Stamata

In the fire that broke out shortly before 12 noon in the area of ​​Plaka Kerateas, the forces are facing scattered outbreaks within the burnt areas. 138 firefighters with 8 infantry units and 39 vehicles remained at the scene and worked throughout the evening.

It is noted that 112 was also called several times as it was deemed necessary to evacuate the residents of the areas of Paleokamariza, Markati, Plaka, Panorama, Agios Georgios Thorikou and Agios Konstantinos in a safe direction.

One dead from a collision

The fire that broke out shortly after 4 pm on Sunday in a wooded area in Stamata next to residential areas and in the midst of strong winds, after the enormous efforts of the ground forces and the decisive contribution of the air means no longer has an active front. However, during the fire, a 45-year-old suffered a seizure and was taken by EKAB to the Kapandriti Health Center, where, despite the efforts of the doctors, he died. Rescuers who arrived at the scene found the 45-year-old unconscious.

145 firefighters with 7 infantry units and 42 vehicles continued to work in the area throughout the evening in order to bring it under control.