In recent weeks, we have all watched with satisfaction the epidemiological indicators in our country to record a declining trend. An important factor in monitoring the epidemiological picture is the hospital indicators and the ability of the Health System to adequately respond to the challenges posed by the pandemic.
At today's meeting of the Council of Ministers, I informed the President of the Republic and my fellow Ministers about the clear improvement of the epidemiological data of the last few days. After evaluating the data and in the context of the strategy for gradual restart of the economy and social activity, the Council of Ministers took the following decisions:
- From the 29 May, the travel ban is valid from 1 in the evening until 5 in the morning. As of June 10, the travel ban ends.
From 1η June, the following are permitted, inter alia:
- The presence in the homes of people with a maximum number of 20 people, including permanent residents and minors.
- The physical presence of persons indoors, such as religious places of worship, casinos, conference and trade fair venues, theaters, amphitheaters and other performing arts venues is set at 50% of the capacity of each venue.
- The reopening of the interiors of catering businesses, based on the health protocol.
From the 10 June, including:
- The nightclubs are reopening, on the basis of a health protocol.
- The limit of 50% physical presence in private companies and departments / organizations of the public and wider public sector is lifted.
Details of the decisions regarding the operation of the sports venue will be announced by the Cyprus Sports Organization.
All decisions of the Council of Ministers will be regulated by a Decree and will be valid until June 31. More explanations will be issued later in the day.
Ladies and gentlemen,
The above decisions, which are another big step towards normalcy, are the result of the cooperation shown by the vast majority of citizens. As previously announced and given that the timing is ideal according to epidemiological data, the Government is proceeding on the basis of its plan to restart the economy and social activities. The faithful observance of the protection measures, the discipline in the health protocols and the effort made by the society as a whole, allowed us to proceed with these relaxations with more stable steps.
The great response to the call for vaccination and the increase of the vaccination shield of the population contributed in this direction. With 51% of our fellow citizens having been vaccinated with 1η dose of the vaccine and 25% of the population has completed its vaccination schedule, our country is in the first places among the countries of the European Union and even closer to achieving the goal of vaccination coverage of 65% of the population with at least 1η installment by the end of June.
It is important to remember that despite the essential steps we take, the virus is still with us. It is essential at this time, when society and the economy are unlocking, to continue with caution and consistency in complying with the measures. From now on, the common goal of all of us should be to maintain the positive epidemiological image and to further improve it. Together we will be able to emerge victorious from this difficult ordeal that has plagued us for over 15 months.