59 years since the Holocaust in Liopetri barn (VIDEO)

CEB1 50 News, EOKA, History, Nea Famagusta
CEB1 67 News, EOKA, History, Nea Famagusta

The battle in the Barn of Liopetri On September 2, 1958 in the Barn of Liopetri became one of the most epic battles, given by EOKA. The humble barn was described as "Neo Hani of Gravia".

For the four heroes of the Barn, Andreas Karyos, Elias Papakyriakou, Fotis Pittas and Christos Samaras, Chief Digenis writes in his Memoirs: “It is very difficult for me to distinguish among these four young men who was the brave of , because all four competed at that moment who would die braver ".

The events related to the Battle of the Barn and the heroic death of the four Levantines are as follows: The four fighters went to Liopetri on the night of August 30 to train the EOKA members there on ambush issues.

At 2.00:1 p.m. On September XNUMX, military vehicles appeared near the village. The fighters tried to leave the village, but could not, due to the soldiers they met. They then decided to break the cordon using a car.

In this second attempt, they exchanged gunfire with British soldiers, but were forced to return to Liopetri.

Around 3.00 p.m. took refuge in the barn of Panagiotis Kallis. This was followed by a house arrest and interrogation of all residents, who until 3.00 p.m. were concentrated in barbed wire.

The barn was searched, but to no avail. At 1.00 am after midnight on September 2, the English returned after information, surrounded the barn and asked the owner to show them where the four fighters were hiding. The owner and his family did not provide any information despite the torture they were subjected to.

The British called on the fighters to surrender, but received no response. Then, having the owner as a cover, they shot inside the barn, but again received no response. On the morning of September 2, a new house arrest was made and the owner of the Barn was subjected to new torture. A group of soldiers, who approached the barn, were shot by the four fighters.

The British then asked for reinforcements, which soon came. The shootings continued and the fighters were called to surrender. There was a short break and the shootings were repeated more fiercely. Several soldiers were wounded.

The British dropped grenades and bombs to no avail. One of the fighters came out of the barn shooting, but was killed by an English soldier. The other fighters continued to shoot and wounded a soldier and a captain. A second fighter was killed in the exchange of new shots.

Other soldiers climbed to the roof of the barn, where they dug a hole, threw in clothes and petrol. The clothes caught fire, but soon went out. As the battle continued with automatic weapons and grenades, an English helicopter dropped incendiary bombs and the barn caught fire immediately.

The two fighters then rushed outside, but were shot and killed by soldiers. The four EOKA fighters with their "heroic death moved the entire Cypriot people and caused worldwide admiration. The place of their sacrifice, on which their statues were erected, became a national pilgrimage immediately after the independence of Cyprus.

Today the barn and the surrounding courtyard were formed into a single Monumental Area to perpetuate the greatness of their heroism and self-sacrifice.

Source: EOKA Historical Memory Council