Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky yesterday Sunday evening condemned the new Russian missile strikes against the city of Mykolayiv (south) and announced that his army would retaliate.
The mayor of Mykolayiv, Oleksandr Senkevich, said earlier yesterday that the city had suffered at least 12 rocket strikes, which he described as possibly the heaviest since the war broke out on February 24, noting that they destroyed schools and homes. He spoke of at least 2 dead and three injured.
Mr. Zelensky spoke of "one of the barbaric bombings of Mykolife and the region," adding that "no Russian attack goes unanswered by our military and our intelligence services."
Russian forces are being moved from the eastern part of Ukraine to the occupied regions of Kherson and Zaporizhia in the south, Mr. Zelensky further said, adding that "but this will not help them." Kyiv says an operation is underway to recapture these regions.
Earlier yesterday, the Ukrainian General Staff spoke of the rapid movement of Russian troops into Russian-controlled areas in southern Ukraine. Moscow has no comment on this information so far.